Instagram

Instagram

Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Life on earth, according to Google

For the past week, I've been trying, without luck, to see the planet Earth. Well, Google Earth anyhow. If you are not familiar with Google's latest app, it's an aerial-style map viewer of the entire planet. Just type in an address and voila the eye in the sky brings you there with a top-down view.

You can't get much geekier than mapping software, which may explain its popularity. For the past week, I've been frustrated in my every attempt to download the software as a logjam of my fellow geeks has beaten me to the queue. Well, this morning, bright and early, I got on and downloaded it.
First stop, my hometown: Bergenfield, NJ. I visited Cooper's Pond, my old elementary school, my old house. Next stop, Roma. And then, Amandola. (Sadly, I could fly only as low as 1,621 feet above Amandola).

Then I flew over to Pakistan to visit my brother Chris. Oddly, it took a bit of guesswork to find K2, the second tallest peak in the world. But I found Broad Peak, it's smaller neighbor, right away. Good luck, Chris! We geeks will be watching!

No comments: