Instagram

Instagram

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Charity

I know it's not polite to complain about charity events designed to eradicate hunger and poverty in Africa. For this reason, I really don't want to trample on the feel good message of the Live 8 rock concert just announced for 2 July. But still, I do have a small grievance for Sir Bob Geldof. U2 and Coldplay will be performing in Hyde Park in London, and Jay-Z, Stevie Wonder and Dave Matthews Band in Philly. Crosby, Stills and Nash are playing Berlin. And who do we get in Circo Massimo? Duran Duran and Faith Hill.

If I had a say, I would argue that U2, DMB, Jay-Z and Coldplay should come to Italy, the land of truly horrible pop music. They could perform two charitable acts at once: raise the awareness and the funds needed to wipe out hunger in Africa and entertain the music-deprived masses of Rome. This way more of the world's underpriveleged would be served.

I may still go. I may still shake my ass to "Hungry like the wolf" and clap politely when Faithy sings whatever it is she sings. But I don't want to hear concert reviews from any of you who get to the Philly or London shows. Just tell me where to send the cheque.

No comments: